As you may have seen, I have created a server on Discord called the Student Nurse Academy. This server is for all student nurses and newly qualified nurses to get involved with. There are text chat rooms where you can ask advice and support on things such as assignments and placements, allowing you to receive real-time support from other student nurses. You can also chat socially with other student nurses from around the world! I know that many of you may not have been on Discord before so I have created this step by step guide on how to use it that I hope you will find useful!
- Create a Discord account – download the app on your phone or computer and choose a username (you can change this later on). Remember to verify your email to allow you full access to the servers chat rooms.
- Customise your account – you’ve verified your email address and now you’re good to go! Add a profile picture of your choice and connect apps such as Facebook or Spotify if you wish to do so!
- Join the server – you can join the server through the invite link, this takes you straight to the introductions chat for you to tell us a little bit about yourself! Your servers will appear on the left hand side of the screen.
- Start chatting! – join one of the chat rooms on the left hand side of your screen and write a message. All the chat rooms are text chats, except coffee club which is a voice channel. You can jump in there and chat with other student nurses, kind of like a big Skype call 😂 If you don’t feel comfortable using the voice channel, stick to the text chats! If the chat names appear in bold, this means there are messages in there you have not seen.
- Build friendships – the main aim of this server is to bring student nurses together and to create friendships. Asking for advice is important and a part of this server, but gaining a support network is the main aim. You can chat about anything you want to in the general chit-chat ward, from what pets you have to what Harry Potter house you belong to (I’m a Slytherin for anyone interested 😂). I’ve made many friends through social media and want to help make this a possibility for other student nurses.
Why not use Facebook/Twitter/Instagram like we are now?
I wanted to create an area where student nurses can just chat, a little bit like a Whatsapp group but without needing to share your phone number with ‘strangers’. Twitter/Facebook/Instagram require a little bit of work from yourself to start conversations, you need to post a status, tweet or picture for people to interact with, that’s if your friends see them with the current algorithms. Here on Discord, you can just jump into a chat and join in. Discord is a safe place where you don’t even need to divulge the university you study at if you do not wish to. Discord is easy to use and you don’t even need to receive notifications if you’re easily distracted like me. Pop in and out of the chats whenever you want to and interact with people. You can @username to direct a message towards a specific user and react to people’s messages. You don’t even need to download an app, you can just use this when on a computer through the web interface.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have!